News and comment
The external links on this page will take you to other sites which are not connected to the regulated site of . Neither nor
Welcome to your on-line financial newsletter. This service is regularly updated to bring you news of important developments in financial matters.
Citywire Investment News
- Old Mutual?s Nickols: Undiscriminating sellers are hurting small-caps
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 14:01:25 +0100
Dan Nickols, manager of the Old Mutual UK Smaller Companies fund, has blamed small-cap tourists for the sector?s recent weakness.
- Legg Mason to buy Martin Currie
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 13:59:56 +0100
Legg Mason has bought Martin Currie to add to its stable of boutiques.
- Brown Shipley to overhaul fund range
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 13:57:43 +0100
Brown Shipley is planning to revamp its suite of funds later this year in a process that will include the launch of two new products.
- AA-rated Lofthouse: 'maverick' tobacco settlements won't stop MA
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 13:51:18 +0100
Henderson International Income trust manager Ben Lofthouse shares his thoughts on recent developments in the tobacco sector in this video.
FT.com - Financial Markets News
- SP 500 inches up to fresh record close
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 20:10:11 GMT
Equities continue to find support from encouraging earnings and economic releases, as well as optimism that global central banks will remain accommodative
- Bookies lose on UK gambling tax proposals
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 17:04:58 GMT
Shares in William Hill and Ladbrokes slide after Labour party proposes extending gambling tax currently only levied on racing to other sports betting
- US builders slide as home sales dip
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 16:48:04 GMT
US homebuilders slump as two of the largest companies report second-quarter profits shy of Wall Street forecasts and a new report showed a slide in new home sales
- Junk bonds turn negative as rally stalls
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 16:36:20 GMT
Investors fret high-yield?s bull run is nearing an end after Janet Yellen warned of ?stretched? valuations and QE concludes
- Wreckage of Algeria plane 'found'
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:45:51 GMT
The wreck of a plane that disappeared with 116 people on board on a flight from Burkina Faso to Algiers has been found in Mali, officials say.
- VIDEO: Proud Murdoch in tears on podium
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:35:59 GMT
Scotland's Ross Murdoch breaks down in tears following his win in the men's 200m breaststroke at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
- Renicks sisters claim golden double
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:29:25 GMT
Sisters Kimberley and Louise Renicks win Scotland's first golds of the Commonwealth Games with thrilling judo victories.
- Ghana protests over rising prices
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:18:16 GMT
Thousands of workers across Ghana take to the streets to protest about the rise in the cost of living and call for petrol subsidies to be restored.
BBC Business News
- Amazon reports $126m quarterly loss
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 21:49:59 GMT
Amazon reports a loss of $126m in the second quarter and warns of slowing sales.
- SA to block land sales to foreigners
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 19:34:50 GMT
The South African government is fast-tracking a bill to block land sales to foreigners, which could come into effect in 2019.
- Banks face tougher accounting rules
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 17:13:20 GMT
Newly published banking standards could mean banks have to hold significantly more funds to guard against potential loan losses.
- VIDEO: Bill Gates talks Africa with the BBC
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 15:56:43 GMT
Bill Gates calls for an improved audit of international aid in Africa, to ensure it achieves its aims.
- Martin Currie fills a 'gap' as it falls to Legg Mason
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 16:41:09 +0100
Martin Currie, the loss-making Edinburgh-based fund manager, has agreed to be bought by US investment giant Legg Mason.
- Portfolios: the battle between income and total return
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 14:49:01 +0100
Experts debate what matters most when designing investment portfolios: income or total return?
- Diary of a Dumb Investor: I'm hanging on to Russia
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 13:07:42 +0100
My Russia investment trust has fallen after a momentous week, but I'm going to hold steady.
- Slump in Kingfisher shares weighs on FTSE
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 11:01:04 +0100
BQ owner falls 7.5% on disappointing sales. FTSE flat as investor caution prevails amid geopolitical tension.